Thursday, October 25, 2007

Expansion by analogy, or, What's the F?

Apparently this week is Islamo-Fascism Awareness week. Colleges around the nation are inviting speakers to discuss the problem Islamo-Fascism. These are pretty much all conservative speakers... a fact that itself would make for an interesting post.

But instead of that, I'm interested here in how the term "fascism" has come to be used. And by "interested," I mean annoyed. I hate when words lose their meanings, and I'm afraid it's happened to the F word quite some time ago.

Fascism has traditionally indicated a dictatorial government that maintains strict and oppressive control over the activities of its people. (By the way, after reading this definition, does anyone really think the term Islamo-Fascist doesn't legitimately apply to places like Iran?) But that traditional reading has been loosened up. It now seems that any unpleasant exercise of authority is considered fascism.

Perhaps we could call what has happened to this definition, "expansion by analogy." My guess is that it started with calling local authority (principals, parents, etc.) fascists to make an analogy from their rules to despotic declarations. This loosened things up, and the term began to be applied in more and more places. But as it was used for a wider variety of figures and acts it began to lose its function as an analog and take on a broader definition until it came to serve its current function, which is an all-but-contentless slur of disapproval.

Case and point, today's Ann Coulter column. It's probably one of my favorites of hers for clearly pointing out something else I'm frustrated with, the lack of civility on the part of the left (especially at college campuses) that leads to a double standard, despite all the talk about "dialog." However, the mix of appropriate and loose uses of the word fascist just about drove me crazy. Not that it's much of a drive, but still...

3 comments:

Paradiggm said...

Ann Coulter is commenting on... civility? She's the last person who should be commenting on that.

I think the right can be pretty darn bombastic too, my friend. They are the architects of politics of the edge, and many nasty tactics.

Sandy said...

I suppose I wasn't specific enough with "lack of civility". Coulter most certainly has an uncivil tongue, but she has never (at least to my knowledge) prevented or encouraged the prevention of the exercise of free speech by civil unrest.

All I'm saying is that I've never heard of Al Franken not being able to finish a speech, or having to have body guards (which Coulter had to have when I saw her with Al Sharpton).

Anonymous said...

You write very well.